Employment Law For HR Professionals (Offline Course)
HR professionals and managers need to understand the legal framework that underpins the employment relationship. This practical course follows the employment life cycle from entry to exit and focuses on the core areas of law and practice.
Who should attend?
This course is aimed at HR professionals. The course will also be relevant to line managers and directors of SMEs who need to fully understand their people management responsibilities and the risks.
Attendees will learn about:
– Beginning employment
– Contracts of employment – forming and terminating contracts of employment
– Who is an ‘employee’?
– Managing people in practice
– Equality and discrimination – the nine protected characteristics and how discrimination can occur in the workplace
– Discipline and grievance – understanding how to handle disciplinary and grievance situations, including nipping situations in the bud, investigations and disciplinary and grievance hearings
– Absence – managing short and long term absence
– Dismissal – understanding unfair dismissal rights
– Family related rights – understanding rights around maternity leave, shared parental leave, flexible working, parental leave and time off for dependents.
– An introduction to employment tribunals
– Legislation, Case Laws, Trends, and Hot Issues
– The Legalities of Policies, Procedures, and Employment Handbooks
Alex is a legal practitioner and notary with almost 24 years post-call experience. He is the Managing Partner of A. Muoka & Co. – a Lagos-based commercial and litigation law firm. He is the former Chairman of the Nigerian Bar Association-Lagos Branch – in which capacity he oversaw the largest branch of the NBA comprising over 3,000 successful corporate/ commercial solicitors and eminent advocates. He is a Trustee of the Lagos Public Interest Law Partnership, member of the Public Complaints and Training Committee of the Lagos State Judiciary, and member of the National Executive Committee of the Nigerian Bar Association. Read More…
Andornimye Adie is the Principal at DORNIM Solicitors and Legal Consultants and a highly regarded Corporate & Commercial Lawyer in Nigerian legal and business circles. She attended the University of Abuja, Nigeria where she obtained an LLB and was admitted to the Nigerian Bar in 2005. She also possesses an LLM in Corporate Law from the Nottingham Trent University in the United Kingdom. With a specialty in Energy Law, she has been engaged both as a legal consultant in the current privatization of the unbundled units of PHCN and also as part of the team of legal consultants to the World Bank that produced a baseline study report on Nigeria’s Mining Sector. Read More…
Sola attended the University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria where he obtained an LLB Hons. in 2004. He was admitted to the Nigerian Bar in 2005 and is a member of the Nigerian Bar Association. He is also an Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitration, United Kingdom. After years in a top-tier litigation firm, ‘Sola has acquired a wealth of experience in Corporate Commercial Law which spans across several industries including Banking, Real Estate and Insurance. Read More…